In the XVI century while the Colonial age, Viceroy Luis de Velasco ordered to create “a walk to make the city more beautiful and at the same time a place of recreation for its inhabitants”.
It was named Alameda due to a large number of Alamos that were planted in the limit of what are now Hidalgo and Juarez Avenues which were later replaced by willow and trees. After a decline and carelessness period Felipe V asked to build several fountains as well as to plant new trees.
During the time of the Second Empire, the Alameda was one of the favorite places of the Empress Carlota, wife of the emperor of Mexico, Maximiliano of Hapsburg.
The Empress ordered to plant great amount of roses and donated the fountain “Venus led by zephyrs” work of the sculptor Mathurin Moreau. Porfirio Diaz ordered the construction of the Palace of Fine Arts as well as the Hemicycle to Juárez in placed of the Morisk Kiosk which was translated in 1909 to the Santa María la Ribera district.
Currently The Alameda has fantastic marble floors and reforested gardens while at night people can enjoy its illuminated corridors and fountains.
There are eight emblematic sculptures and fountains known as: The Americas, The Danaides, Neptune, The Nymphs 1 and 2, Mercury, Spring and Venus corresponding to the second part of the XIX century.
Additionally four fountains were placed in each corner of the Alameda with LED colored lighting and streams of water up to 20 meters high. To the east there is the Beethoven monument, artwork of Oldembech sculptor which shows a death mask of the famous musician made of black bronze. It was a gift by the German Colony in 1921.
The Hemiciclo a Juárez recovered its original white color as well as its ornaments of gold and bronze looking almost as well as it was 100 years ago when the Presidente Porfirio Díaz inaugurated it.
We must not skip Diego Rivera’s mural located in Doctor Mora Street “dream of a Sunday afternoon in Alameda” it´s a smaller scale replica than the original one.